by Aaliyah Ortega
April 16, 2019
Flan is a dessert that we sometimes make to when we’re just wanting a pastry at home for after dinner dessert or when we’re going to a party, and even when me and my family go visit my grandma’s house we like to take her one just to have for herself at home and even we bring it for her she loves to enjoy it, with us so she makes us eat some with her which i don’t/wouldn’t mind because i could eat it when ever. And when it comes to going to a party Everyone really enjoys my mom making it when we go to parties, me and my sister adore helping my mom making flan it’s really fun helping or just being there with her. When it goes into the oven and it’s starting to cook you can smell the vanilla and all the different tasty smells, Flan is a soft pastry that’s shaped like a pie, but isn’t really a pie it is has caramel on top it has the texture of creme brulee it looks really similar.
How to make Flan
- 5 eggs
- One can (390ml) condensed milk
- One can (250ml) evaporated milk
- Two cups of heavy cream
- One and half cup of sugar
- One tsp vanilla extract
- Pre heat oven to 320 degrees F (150 digress C)
- Place the 1 cup sugar in a non-stick saucepan, melt sugar over medium heat. Allow the sugar to melt by swirling occasionally, until it dissolves and begins to brown continue swirling the saucepan until the sugar becomes dark Golden brown.
- Pour caramelized sugar into a 2 10x5 loaf pan or 6x4 oval cake pan and swirl to coat the bottom of the pan evenly.
- Combine eggs, condensed and evaporated milk, heavy cream, vanilla extract, and the rest of the sugar (1/2 cup) in a mixer or blender for a minute or until everything is mixed together.
- Place the loaf pan into a larger pan and add 1 inch of hot water to the outer pan,Bake in preheated oven for 50 minutes or until set.
- After that allow to cool, refrigerate.
- Serve by flipping the loaf pan over a plate (caramel on top)